Healthy Snack Recipe: Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich
Sprouts are very rich in both calcium and Vitamin A, making them a superfood that you should try to incorporate into your diet as often as possible. Try out this healthy Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich recipe - colourful and tasty, it has only half the bread of a regular sandwich.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 9 mins
Makes 4 open sandwiches
• 6 tbsp alfalfa sprouts
• 1 whole wheat foot long bread (12")
• 1 medium yellow capsicum
• 1 medium red capsicum
• 1 medium green capsicum
• 2 1/4 tsp olive oil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 12 tomato slices
• 2 tbsp deseeded and sliced black olives
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• salt to taste
• 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp grated mozzarella cheese
To Be Mixed Into A Marinade
• 1 1/2 tbsp vinegar
• 1/2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp powdered sugar
• salt to taste
• Pierce the yellow capsicum with a fork, brush ¼ tsp of olive oil evenly over it and roast it over an open flame till it turns black from all the sides.
• Cool, wash it in cold water and remove the skin, stem and seeds and discard them. Cut the capsicum into thin slices and keep aside.
• Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the red and green capsicum.
• Combine the roasted green, yellow and red capsicum slices, the remaining 1½ tsp of olive oil, salt and a little pepper powder in a bowl and mix well.
• Divide the capsicum mixture into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
• Cut the foot long bread into 2 pieces from the centre and then cut each piece into 2 halves horizontally. You will get 4 bread halves of 6" each in all.
• Place all the 4 bread halves on a flat, dry surface and core the inner side of each halve so as to form a slight depression.
• Spread ¼th of the marinade evenly on each bread halve.
• Place a portion of the capsicum mixture in the depression of each bread halve and arrange 3 tomato slices over it.
• Place 1½ tbsp of alfa-alfa sprouts and ½ tbsp of black olives evenly on each bread halve.
• Sprinkle ¼ tsp of oregano, a little salt and ¼ tsp of pepper powder on each bread halve.
• Top each bread halve with ½ tbsp of cheese and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 8 to 10 minutes.
• Serve immediately.
For More: Healthy Snacks
Garlic, a regular staple in Indian households, is the ultimate superfood. Apart from giving...
Having a healthy sex life is a great way to stay fit, happy and connected with your...
Everyone is in search of a secret product for glowing skin. But what they fail to...