Healthy Snack Recipe: Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich
Sprouts are very rich in both calcium and Vitamin A, making them a superfood that you should try to incorporate into your diet as often as possible. Try out this healthy Alfalfa Sprouts Open Sandwich recipe - colourful and tasty, it has only half the bread of a regular sandwich.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 9 mins
Makes 4 open sandwiches
• 6 tbsp alfalfa sprouts
• 1 whole wheat foot long bread (12")
• 1 medium yellow capsicum
• 1 medium red capsicum
• 1 medium green capsicum
• 2 1/4 tsp olive oil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• 12 tomato slices
• 2 tbsp deseeded and sliced black olives
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• salt to taste
• 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp grated mozzarella cheese
To Be Mixed Into A Marinade
• 1 1/2 tbsp vinegar
• 1/2 tbsp olive oil
• 2 tsp powdered sugar
• salt to taste
• Pierce the yellow capsicum with a fork, brush ¼ tsp of olive oil evenly over it and roast it over an open flame till it turns black from all the sides.
• Cool, wash it in cold water and remove the skin, stem and seeds and discard them. Cut the capsicum into thin slices and keep aside.
• Repeat steps 1 and 2 for the red and green capsicum.
• Combine the roasted green, yellow and red capsicum slices, the remaining 1½ tsp of olive oil, salt and a little pepper powder in a bowl and mix well.
• Divide the capsicum mixture into 4 equal portions and keep aside.
• Cut the foot long bread into 2 pieces from the centre and then cut each piece into 2 halves horizontally. You will get 4 bread halves of 6" each in all.
• Place all the 4 bread halves on a flat, dry surface and core the inner side of each halve so as to form a slight depression.
• Spread ¼th of the marinade evenly on each bread halve.
• Place a portion of the capsicum mixture in the depression of each bread halve and arrange 3 tomato slices over it.
• Place 1½ tbsp of alfa-alfa sprouts and ½ tbsp of black olives evenly on each bread halve.
• Sprinkle ¼ tsp of oregano, a little salt and ¼ tsp of pepper powder on each bread halve.
• Top each bread halve with ½ tbsp of cheese and bake them in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 8 to 10 minutes.
• Serve immediately.
For More: Healthy Snacks
It's tempting to lounge around the house, snacking and binge-watching your favourite...
Here are some healthy food swaps that will help you make the right choices to treat...
Here are some tips to help you get through the party season without throwing up, passing...