Healthy Recipe: Healthy Stuffed Pizza
Pizza has always been considered in the junk food category but we tend to forget that if we fill it with proper amount of antioxidants, fiber and calcium it can actually be a part of healthy diet. By changing the toppings and using whole wheat dough you can have a healthy pizza which is also delicious. That’s why we have for you today, a tasty and healthy pizza recipe by Ms. Priya Kathpal – Nutritionist at Birla Research & Life sciences, Mumbai.
6 servings, time: 40 mins
Ingredients for stuffing
- 400 gms low fat cottage cheese or tofu (crumbled)
- 300 gms of spinach (washed and dried)
- 1/2 cup chopped soft or reconstituted sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
Ingredients for 450 gm whole wheat pizza dough
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp quick rising yeast
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 cup of hot water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Method for preparing pizza dough
1. Combine all the ingredients except oil and water in a food processor; pulse to mix. Combine hot water and oil in a measuring cup. With the motor running, gradually pour in enough of the hot liquid until the mixture forms a sticky ball. The dough should be quite soft. If it seems dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water; if too sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour. Process until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place it, sprayed-side down, over the dough. Let the dough rest for 10 to 20 minutes before rolling.
Store in a plastic bag coated with cooking spray in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.
1. Pre heat oven at 475 degree F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray
2. Mix all the stuffing ingredients with light hands.
3. Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to about a length of the baking sheet and twice as wide.
4. Transfer the dough to the baking sheet, allowing the extra width to hangover on one side onto a clean surface.
5. Spread the filing on the dough, leaving a little border.
6. Fold the overhanging dough over the filing. Fold the edges closed and crimp with a fork to seal.
7. Prick the top lightly to vent steam, top it with little cooking spray.
8. Bake it till well browned on top (18-20 mins). Cool slightly before cutting
9. Server them with ketchup
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Many people’s jobs require them to sit in the same spot for several hours at a time,...
Do you feel exhausted every time you head to the gym? Workout fatigue is a real problem...
Refined foods get clogged in the colon, causing gas, indigestion, flatulence and...