Healthy Foodie: Brown Bread Dahi Vada
A traditional Indian snack, Dahi Vada can be found in any popular Indian restaurant or street food stall. Known as Dahi Bhalle in Punjab, Perugu Gari in Telugu, Doi Boda in Bengali, Thayir Vada in Tamil and Mosaru Vade in Kannada, this popular Indian snack is traditionally prepared by soaking piping hot deep fried vadas in water and transferring them to a thick beaten plate of yogurt. Generally prepared with urad dal, today we bring to you this healty Dahi Vada version. Without compromising on taste, we will be using brown bread instead of deep fried vadas. High in iron, minerals, fiber and vitamins this snack can be prepared in 10 minutes flat. Presenting to you, the very healthy version of dahi vada - the brown bread dahi vada!
Ingredients (Makes two servings)
- 3 slices of brown bread with edges removed
- 3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 cup of thick plain curd
- 1/4 tablespoon of black salt
- 1/2 tsp of red chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon of cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind (imli) chutney
- Coriander (dhania) for garnish
- Seviya or grated carrot for garnish
- Add a little bit of salt to your curd and whip it well it remove all the lumps.
- In a separate bowl, make a dough out of the bread slices by adding enough milk to it. If you want, you can add a few drops of oil to your hand to avoid the dough sticking to your hands.
- Now make small balls out of the bread bowl and place them in a separate serving bowl.
- Now pour the curd over the bread balls and let the bread balls be nicely soaked in curd.
- Now sprinkle the leftover dry ingredients.
- Garnish with sevya, grated carrot and coriander leaves.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Health Star Of The Week
The feeling of being a mother had left Rupa ecstatic, but the repercussions of fat rich...
Have you ever wondered about which positions are most likely to make you climax? Or if it...
Hair Care Tips
Hair fall or hair loss does not spare age or gender. To be honest hair fall is a natural...