Chef Recipes: Cholia Soya Bean Pulao
Today Chef Kunal Kapur, Executive Sous Chef at the Leela Kempinski Gurgaon, helps us whip up a unique combination of fresh green gram and soya bean chunks into a healthy cholia soya bean pulao recipe. This dish makes for a superb lunch or a dinner recipe. All this is cooked along with rice on dum in sealed pots which makes for an excellent healthy alternative and not to mention flavorful too. But first let's take a look at the nutritional value of this meal.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving) by Rekha Sharma, President, Indian Dietetic Association and Director at Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, Diabetes Foundation.
- Carbohydrates 32 g
- Protein 4.1 g
- Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Fiber 0.33 g
- Sodium 1280mg
- Calories 184
- 250 g basmati rice
- 250 mL water (for boiling rice)
- 3 tsp salt
- 20 nos soya bean chunks
- 1 no onions, large
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 no bay leaf
- 2 tsp jeera (cumin)
- 3 nos cloves
- 10 nos black peppercorn
- 1 no cinnamon, 1-inch long
- 2 nos, green chilly small
- 100 g cholia (fresh green gram)
1. Pick, wash and soak rice for half an hour. Boil water and add salt. Remove from fire and drop in soya bean chunks for 15 minutes.
2. Peel onion and thickly slice. Heat heavy bottom and add canola oil. Add bay leaf, jeera, cloves, peppercorn and cinnamon. Once they splutter, add onions and green chillies slit and sauté until onion turns light brown. Squeeze out excess water from the soya chunks and along with cholia, add to pan. Add salt and sauté for 2 minutes. Add salt and rice. Now pour water and let rice boil.
3. Once half the water is evaporated, turn the heat low and cover with tight-fitting lid.
4. Cook for another 8 minutes and turn off heat. Let it rest in this position for another 10 minutes.
5. Remove lid and serve hot.
Yield: 6 servings.
Note: Do not stir the rice at any point, as it can break. The water added to rice is always dependent on the quality of rice and the length of time you soak it for.
*Image courtesy: © Chef Kunal
If you’ve ever admired Hrithik Roshan or John Abraham’s physique, you have Kris Gethin...
Anurag was a pampered boy who weighed 117 kilos when he was just 22 years old. While the...
For hundreds of years, the only type of milk humans had to drink was animal milk that came...