Best Out of Waste Recipe: Healthy Watermelon White Rind Sabzi
Each and every part of the watermelon is useful and edible. Did you know that you could prepare a delicious and healthy dish from the rind (the white part of the watermelon) of the watermelon? Yes, it is true. Dr. Shilpa Mittal - Nutritionist, Diet Consultant and Founder of Nutrilife Health Management, Mumbai shares a delicious way to use the inner white pulp of the watermelon. Try this recipe to relax your blood vessels and lower your blood pressure.
• 1 cup water melon white rind peeled (cut)
• 1 medium sized onion (chopped)
• 1 medium sized tomato (chopped)
• 1 tbsp finely garlic (chopped)
• 1 tsp ginger finely grated
• 1 finely green chilli (chopped)
• Salt to taste
• ½ tsp turmeric powder
• ½ tsp red chili powder
• 1 red chili cut into big pieces
• 1 tsp mango powder
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• A pinch of asafoetida
• 1 tbsp oil
• 1 tsp lemon juice
• 1 tbsp coriander leaves (chopped)
1. Heat some oil in pan on medium flame. Add asafoetida, cumin seeds and dry red chili to the pan and all it to splutter.
2. Add the grated ginger, garlic chopped onions and sauté it for some time.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, peeled and chopped watermelon white rind, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder, mango powder and green chilies. Mix well.
4. Cover the pan and allow it to cook. Keep stirring occasionally, on low flame for 10-12 minutes or until the vegetable is almost done.
5. Now remove the cover from the pan and add lemon juice.
6. Garnish with coriander leaves.