What is Mediterranean Diet?
The Mediterranean diet is as one of the healthiest diet option available. It is diet wherein good taste and good health comes in hand-in-hand. A person who follows Mediterranean diet consumes more of legumes, unrefined cereals, fruits, vegetables and more consumption of dairy products. Consumption of meat and meat products is usually very low.
A person who follows Mediterranean diet possess very low risk of developing serious diseases like some types of cancer, type-2 diabetes Alzheimer’s and also increases longevity.
Mediterranean diet includes fresh, seasonal foods like vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, olives, fish and eggs. All these foods are rich in micronutrients, antioxidants, minerals and essential vitamins.
Mediterranean diet consists of very less amount of saturated fat, sodium and sugar.
The basics of Mediterranean diet are
• Getting plenty of exercise
• Eating plant-based foods as far as possible
• Replace butter with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil
• Use herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
• Limit red meat usage to not more than a few times a month
• Eat fish and poultry at least twice a week
• Drinking red wine in moderation
*Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Hollywood celebrity trainer Ramona Braganza lets us in on some of her A-List client's...
Available only in winter, Indian gooseberries, or amla as they are known in Hindi, have...
You probably started growing a moustache this month with the vague intention of...