Skin Care: What is Laser Treatment?
Laser treatment is used to safely remove unwanted or excess hair on any part of the body thereby considerably reducing the time spent on waxing, threading and plucking of body hair. The service should always be performed by trained and certified skin practitioners under the supervision of a dermatologist and under strict hygiene standards.
The process of laser treatment is called Selective Photothermolysis – ‘photo’ means light and ‘thermo’ means heat and ‘ lysis’ means to remove.
Laser Treatement: The Process
• Laser light of wavelength 1064nm is used on the targeted area.
• The laser light then penetrates into the skin to be absorbed by the melanin present in the hair follicle.
• Here the laser light energy gets converted to heat energy, which then heats the hair follicle.
• The heat destroys the hair follicle by disrupting the hair matrix.
The damaged hair follicle may grow but these are not long or strong enough and eventually fall off. Since the laser beam diameter is large, several hair follicles can be targeted at the same time. The targeted area and the laser hand piece are covered in cooling gel for easy gliding of the instrument and giving a pain free experience.
It takes around five to six sessions to get rid of the unwanted hair. This is because our hair has three different growth cycles:
• Anagen (Active growth phase and contains maximum melanin)
• Catagen (Phase of regression ; which lasts few weeks)
• Telogen (Dormant or resting stage ; which can last for months)
Laser can remove only that hair which is in the Anagen phase and thus it takes around five to six sessions to remove around 90% of unwanted hair.
Laser hair removal does not work on grey or white hair due to absence of melanin.
* Data courtesy: Dr. Narmada Matang, Dermatologist Kaya Ltd
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Absolutely love those deep backed cholis but ashamed of the state of your back? Luckily,...
Herbs and spices have been traditionally used for their flavour-enhancing and medicinal...
The human body is simply amazing, with several functions and abilities that we don’t even...