Post-Diwali: The Right Way To Diet
Now that the festivities are over and you have had your fill of slacking from the gym while satisfying every food craving, it's time to get back into the groove of a balanced diet routine. Typically speaking, a well chalked out balanced eating program prescribed by a dietitian would mean including organic foods, some Chinese medicines, resting, nourishing and cleaning the body from the inside out. But today Jyoti Arora, from Artemis Health Institute's Nutrition & Dietetics, tells us how we can eat a healthy, well-balanced diet with what is readily available at home.
Benefits of Eating Healthy
Our body does have an effective natural detoxification system but the regular intake of unhealthy, junk food substances has a negative impact on our vital organs. Once the body has accumulated enough of these substances, it will start to show a multitude of negative signals such as constipation, skin problems, bloated belly and even body odors. It can also lead you to health conditions such as heart problems, high cholesterol and blocking of arteries.
This is the reason why you need to help your body's natural detoxification system by eating a well balanced diet. The organs which benefit from a balanced eating process include the liver, skin, lungs, kidneys and the colon. The benefits of balanced eating are:
- Improved immune functions and enhanced energy levels
- Strengthening the body’s fight against cancer cells and generating healthy cells in our body
- Cleansing mucous, congestion, fermentation, inflammation in our digestive tract
- Purifying blood
- Radiant and glowing skin
The Right Way to Eat Healthy
No matter what kind of a balanced diet you decide to eventually follow, it is important to make sure that you follow some basic safety tips. Here are some of the things that you should keep in mind:
- Don’t stop eating. Many people think that in order to do a eat a balanced diet, you need to completely stop eating foods from a different food group and this couldn’t be any further from the truth. When you go on a balance eating mission, you should eliminate all of the unhealthy foods. This does not mean that you should starve yourself though.
- Fill up on fresh fruits and vegetables. Since you are cutting all of the bad things out of your diet, you need to replace them with healthy things. The best options available are fresh fruits, vegetables, juices, lemon water. Coconut water, fruit yogurts, butter milk, sprouts, whole grains. If you want to make healthy lifestyle changes and perhaps lose weight in the process, the best thing that you can do is mainly focus on fruits and vegetables.
- Drink lots of water. Although you will probably want to drink other fluids, such as fruit juices and healthy teas, water is really your best option. It will help cleanse your body and provide you with additional health benefits, such as clearer skin. Keep in mind that water is also an important key to keeping hydrated, even during the winter.
Balanced Diet Eating For All
- A veggie lover must include all seasonal vegetables specially tomato, spinach, broccoli, vegetables from the squash group, vegetable juices, and soup and salads in his/her balanced diet.
- A fruit lover can include all seasonal fruits specially melons and citrus and dark colous fruits, fruit juices, fruit yogurt smoothies etc in his/her balanced diet.
- A cereal lover must include all seasonal vegetables, fruits, juices, herbal/green tea, soups and salads along with cereals like porridges, khichri, steamed delis, dholka in his/her balanced diet.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Health Star Of The Week
Vishal was frustrated with his monotonous life which included being surrounded by books,...
Pain in the testicles may be due to a minor injury or some other serious illness. Many...