• Follow Us: 

Is Your Office Making You Smoke?

  By posted Jun 13th 2012
Healthy Living

 

Is Your Office Making Your Smoke?

Do you belong to the cult of office smokers? If yes, then the news is bad. Your office might be the topmost reason why you smoke. According to many experts, workplace smoking impacts the smoking habit of employees, and not to forget the health of active and passive smokers. Even though, the ban on public place smoking came into force in October 2008, India still hasn’t made great progress when it comes to curtailing the high levels of tobacco addiction

And when contemporary workplaces give rise to an increase in smokers, then the issue calls for instant attention. Thus, in a bid to find out if your office contributes to your smoking habit and what solutions you can seek, we asked Dr. Munish Kr. Sachdeva and Dr. K.K Pandey some questions. This is what they had to say...

Mansi Kohli: What do you think about the claim that workplaces induce smoking for some?
Dr. K.K Pandey: Working conditions like crowded places, stressful atmosphere, a bossy manager and loads of work promotes addiction and the easiest one is smoking. When the workplace environment is stressful, it evokes anxiety among its employees. People, who are in the habit of smoking, will immediately go to smoke. For them, this smoking break is perceived as a stress reliever.
Dr. Munish Kr. Sachdeva: If your office is a no-smoking zone, then at least by force you are bound to not smoke for at least 8 hours, which really helps in reducing the smoking habit.

Mansi Kohli: Conversations that start with 'let's go for a smoke break' and 'would you like to join me for a smoke' are common at the workplace. What do you make of this?
Dr. K.K Pandey: Such invitations are a common show of friendship and fellowship. On the other hand, if you have 5 people in a team and only one smokes, then that surely is no motivation for the single person to go ahead for the smoking break. 

Mansi Kohli: As the workplace is getting younger and more cosmopolitan, there is a rise in the numbers of women smokers. What do you think are the reasons for the same?
Dr. K.K Pandey: The reasons for the rise in women smokers are the same as the reasons for the rise in male smokers. Odd working hours, change in food habits, surging stress levels, peer pressure and many more. But yes in today’s times, stress levels among girls are even higher , which ranges from controlled home environment to an abrupt shift to the free environment. 

Mansi Kohli: People are more likely to smoke when they have company? How true is this statement?
Dr. K.K Pandey: Yes absolutely. If they have company, they are all the more likely to smoke. 
Dr. Munish Kr. Sachdeva: 80% people smoke in company, remaining 20% have many other reasons to smoke alone.

Dr. Munish Kr. Sachdeva is the Liver & Endoscopist Specialist at Ganga Ram Hospital and Prof & Dr. K.K Pandey is the HOD of Oncology and Cancer Surgery department at Rockland Hospital, New Delhi. 

*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images  

 

 

 

Diwali Special

Bringing Sexy Back this Diwali!

Absolutely love those deep backed cholis but ashamed of the state of your back? Luckily,...

 Read More»

 

Food Facts

15 Herbs and Spices for Cancer Prevention

Herbs and spices have been traditionally used for their flavour-enhancing and medicinal...

 Read More»

 

HealthMeUpgrade

15 Super Useful Body Hacks

The human body is simply amazing, with several functions and abilities that we don’t even...

 Read More»

 

In Focus

Breast Cancer Awareness

 

Editor's Pick

Most Popular

Across The Net