Interesting Heart Health Trivia [Heart Day Special]
Your heart is the centre of your body's cardiovascular system and can be safely called the most vital organ of your body, which pumps blood and life into you. It has many roles to play - from transportation of oxygen, to the success of your immune system; it affects the overall health and well being of your body. Today, as we get ready to celebrate 29th September as World Heart Day 2011, Dr. Praveer Agarwal, Associate Director, Interventional Cardiology at Fortis Escorts Heart Institute tells us interesting trivia about heart health, as part of our week long heart health special. Read on...
1. The human heart beats around 35 million times in a year - The average adult heart beats 72 times a minute.
2. Even at rest, the heart muscles work twice as hard as the leg muscles of a person running.
3. The heart pumps about 1 million barrels of blood during an average - Within a minute’s time, a human heart can pump blood to every cell in your body. And over the course of a day, about 100,000 heart beats shuttle 2,000 gallons of oxygen-rich blood many times.
4. Broken Heart can pilot heart attack risk- A breakup with a loved one or news of a family death can increase risk for heart attack. When you experience an emotionally difficult event, it can also activate the release of stress hormones into the bloodstream that temporarily "shock" the heart. But this type of achy heart can bounce back in days with some rest.
5. Long time smokers can benefit by refraining from cigarettes - Within three years of quitting; the heart attack risks for ex- smokers are the same as for someone who has never smoked before.
6. Taking care of your teeth can impact your heart health - Developing gum disease can increase risks of heart attack or stroke by 50%.
7. The heart creates enough energy to drive a truck 20 miles every day – That is equivalent to driving to the moon and back in a life time.
8. The obtrusive sleep apnea (OSA) condition of heavy snoring, can negatively affect the heart.
9. Your heart is about 10 ounces in weight and has four chambers: The left atrium, the left ventricle, the right atrium & the right ventricle.
10. High blood pressure is one of the most common risks linked to heart health, then comes the heart attack, heart failure or kidney failure. It is also called as the "silent killer."
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Former NFL cheerleader, competitive gymnast and pro fitness athlete, Ramona Braganza is...
Blue is one colour that always looks good on any skin! I'm talking about...
No matter how many hours we have in the day, we always fall short of time try to take...