Health Tips for the India vs Sri Lanka Final
The blue jerseys, Indian flags and signboards are out. India is set to fight Sri Lanka for the Cricket World Cup 2011! And everyone's asking how and where you're going to watch the grand finale. But whether you watch it at home, or in a crowded club, the match will boil down to one thing: Plenty of food and drink. And exciting times usually involve deep fried munchies, calorie-loaded club food, heavy drinking/smoking and anything that you would otherwise avoid). Since you can’t host a party or be a part of it without eating, here’s how you can stay healthy even while watching the most important cricket match this year...
- Munch snacks only when you ARE hungry. Avoid snacking for the sake of snacking.
- Stay away from sugary snacks and fatty snacks (especially buttered popcorn, potato chips and candy bars).
- Go for healthy snacking options such as fresh fruit juices, vegetables and dried fruits.
- Experiment! Mix and match! Snacks need not be just French fries or a huge piece of devil’s cake.
Keep 3 golden rules in mind – the nutrition factor, the portion size and frequency. No matter how healthy something is, if the portion is too big, it's no longer just a healthy snack. It becomes a proper meal.
Also Read: Snacks That Keep You Full For Longer
If you drink, drink sensibly:
- Make sure you drink plenty of water and herbal tea (if possible) after drinking heavy rounds of alcohol. This will help in flushing out the toxins from your body. Here is how you can deal with the World Cup hangover.
- Opt for drinks with lower alcohol content - beers will do just fine. Try and dilute heavy liquors with ice, juice, water, anything healthy.
- Do not move from one strong drink to the next seamlessly. Pause, sip water, drink some tomato juice maybe. Then order another.
- Avoid drunk driving at all costs. Use public transport or have a designated driver amongst your circle of friends post the match.
Stay away from tobacco:
- We are all aware of the fact that both passive and active smoking are hazardous to health, thus if you must smoke, don’t insist on doing that when watching the match with your family or right in middle of the lounge area.
- Try and curb your need to smoke by washing your face from time to time, doing some on the spot stretches. Also, you could try deep breathing exercises and drink plenty of water to divert your attention.
Keep in mind:
- Stretch and walk around a bit while watching the match.
- Sit in a straight position while watching the match to avoid muscle aches afterwards.
- Make sure the room where you are watching the match has good indoor ventilation.
- Eat a good breakfast and lunch so that you are full of energy and all set for today's final showdown!
In the lead up to Diwali and the festive season we all need to watch what we eat.
Celery's an underdog when it comes to healthy foods, because it is rarely given credit...
The human body is simply amazing, with several functions and abilities that we don’t even...