Food Basics: Health Benefits of Mango
Mango - the king of all fruits not only has a unique taste, flavour and aroma but is also super-rich in nutrients. This luscious-looking juicy fruit is bliss for your health and your taste buds. Dr. Shilpa Mittal - Nutritionist, Diet Consultant and Founder of Nutrilife Health Management, shares fascinating health trivia on why you should relish a mango this season.
• Mango is rich in pre-biotic dietary fibre.
• Mango is an excellent source of vitamin-A and flavonoids like beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin.
• Fresh mango is a good source of potassium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that help in controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
• Mango is also a good source of vitamin-C, which helps your body to develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen free radicals.
• Mango can be used both internally and externally for your skin, as it helps to clear clogged pores and reduces pimples.
• The richness of vitamin C and vitamin A in mangoes helps to keep your immune system healthy and strong.
• The high levels of fibre, pectin and vitamin C in mango helps to lower serum cholesterol levels.
Point to remember:
Anything in excess is harmful. Consuming too much of this fruit can generate a lot of heat in the body, which can cause skin breakouts. Moderate amount of mangoes in a day – maybe 1 or 2 – can supply the above mentioned nutritional benefits.
Thus get creative, add it to your milk, yoghurt or freeze the aamras and enjoy the mango lollies. Top it with vanilla ice-cream or mix it in your salad.
Just go ahead enjoy the benefits of this king of fruits.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty images
Also read: How to make Mango Smoothie
Many people’s jobs require them to sit in the same spot for several hours at a time,...
Do you feel exhausted every time you head to the gym? Workout fatigue is a real problem...
Refined foods get clogged in the colon, causing gas, indigestion, flatulence and...