Food Basics: Health Benefits of Mango
Mango - the king of all fruits not only has a unique taste, flavour and aroma but is also super-rich in nutrients. This luscious-looking juicy fruit is bliss for your health and your taste buds. Dr. Shilpa Mittal - Nutritionist, Diet Consultant and Founder of Nutrilife Health Management, shares fascinating health trivia on why you should relish a mango this season.
• Mango is rich in pre-biotic dietary fibre.
• Mango is an excellent source of vitamin-A and flavonoids like beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin.
• Fresh mango is a good source of potassium. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that help in controlling heart rate and blood pressure.
• Mango is also a good source of vitamin-C, which helps your body to develop resistance against infectious agents and scavenge harmful oxygen free radicals.
• Mango can be used both internally and externally for your skin, as it helps to clear clogged pores and reduces pimples.
• The richness of vitamin C and vitamin A in mangoes helps to keep your immune system healthy and strong.
• The high levels of fibre, pectin and vitamin C in mango helps to lower serum cholesterol levels.
Point to remember:
Anything in excess is harmful. Consuming too much of this fruit can generate a lot of heat in the body, which can cause skin breakouts. Moderate amount of mangoes in a day – maybe 1 or 2 – can supply the above mentioned nutritional benefits.
Thus get creative, add it to your milk, yoghurt or freeze the aamras and enjoy the mango lollies. Top it with vanilla ice-cream or mix it in your salad.
Just go ahead enjoy the benefits of this king of fruits.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty images
Also read: How to make Mango Smoothie
Health Star Of The Week
Vishal was frustrated with his monotonous life which included being surrounded by books,...
Pain in the testicles may be due to a minor injury or some other serious illness. Many...