5 'Supposed' Bad Habits That Are Actually Healthy
Healthwise or otherwise, we have two words for you when it comes to the 'supposed' bad habits listed below - Permission granted. It's about time you let go of the guilt and indulged, albeit in moderate doses, in these habits that have earned a bad reputation due to excesses and poor control. Be clever about pursuing them, and you'll realise that they lead you towards a healthier lifestyle, with better immunity and better weight management amongst just the top few benefits.
1. Get your zzzzzzzs: Sleep time will boost your memory and concentration levels by strengthening your immune system and by keeping you energetic all through the day. Tamper with your sleep and you are likely to welcome health hazards such as depression, sleep apnea or anxiety. Doctors say that lack of a good night’s sleep is associate with glucose intolerance, hypertension and belly fat (after all if you won’t sleep, you are bound to indulge in mindless eating and TV viewing!). All these factors can push you close to coronary heart disease. One should aim for seven to eight hours of sleep at night.
2. Sex it up! Sex, hands down, is not only the most pleasurable form of physical activity but also keeps you happy by releasing happy endorphins and oxytocin in your body. One of the biggest health benefits of sex is that it helps in lowering blood pressure and reducing stress levels, according to a research conducted in Scotland, with findings published in Biology Psychology (as reported by webmd.com). In this study 22 men and 24 women were studied and their record of blood pressure was noted in relation to sexual activity and speaking in public.
3. Going to a spa: Love massages and constantly have to battle people who tell you that you're being lazy and spoilt? It's about time you let them know that all you're doing is being healthy. How? Massage helps in diminishing hypertension, because it stimulates pressure receptors which prompt action from the brain.
4. Basking in the Sun: Bright, happy, cheerful days can really lift our moods. Sunshine, in particular, can act as an ultimate natural anti-depressant. According a recent study, standing under the sun for a few minutes a day helps in effectively dealing with sleep-stimulating hormones so that we remain energized and alert all through the day. According to American Academy of Dermatology if you expose your skin to the sun, it helps in the synthesis of Vitamin D, a hormone which is known to reduce risks of fragile bones, heart disease and cancer, among others. So, wear your sunscreen and go sunbathing once in a while.
5. Wine – A magic ingredient with dinner: There have been many speculations as far as the heart-healthy benefits of wine are concerned. It is said that it can keep our blood vessels flexible by boosting HDL (good) cholesterol. Red wine in particular is known to have health benefits because it is full of Resveratrol. An ingredient which aids in reducing "bad" cholesterol levels and prevents blood clots. (as reported by mayoclinic.com)
Healthy eating is not just a matter replacing junk food with nutrient rich food. Healthy...
We come across toxic products several times in our daily lives, and use them without a...
Everyone is in search of a secret product for glowing skin. But what they fail to...