Top 10 Indian Greens for Healthy Meals
Colocasia Leaves (Arbi ke patte)
Different parts of India embibe colocasia leaves in their traditional cooking in unique ways. Not a new green, but needs more demand when in season. Second best source of β-carotene (surpasses the RDA manifold), excellent in vitamin K, being a green. Meets ½ the RDA for calcium, 1/3 of that of iron, ¼ of the vitamin C. Also provides good amount of folate.
Arbi wale Chole – (serves 4, 65 kcals/serving)
- ½ cup chole (soaked overnight)
- 4 tender colocasia leaves with stems, chopped
- 4 tsp coriander-cumin seeds powder
- ¼ tsp tamarind extract
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 red chilies, slit
- A pinch asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Pressure-cook chana and colocasia leaves separately in cooker.
- Heat a little oil, splutter coriander-cumin seed powder and grind these with red chilies, tamarind into a paste.
- Add chole, colocasia leaves and salt to the above mixture. Cook for 7-8 minutes till the mixture boils well.
- Heat a little oil and splutter mustard seeds. Then, add asafoetida, bay leaf. Pour this seasoning over the chole, colocasia mixture.
- Serve hot with chapattis or rice.
Health Star Of The Week
Nidhi, thought that being tall helped her look slim, so she didn't pay any attention...
If women are coy about sex, men are coy about skincare treatments. Men also face skin...