Drumstick greens (Saijan patta)
Again, another commonly used leaf in the non-urban areas of India. Especially important for it’s use as adjuvant in alleviating the nutritional deficiencies. Excellent source of Vitamin K and Vitamin C. (when combined with drumsticks – a perfect Vitamin C + Iron combo essential for better absorption of non-heme iron). Also very good in its calcium, magnesium, Vitamin B2 and β-carotene content along with a good protein content.
Panshi – (serves 4, 100 kcals/serving)
- ½ cup curd, beaten
- 2 tbsp besan
- ½ cup drumstick leaves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- Few curry leaves
- 10-12 small dried ber
- 1 green chilli, slit
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Combine the curd, besan and 1½ cups of water in a bowl and mix well to dissolve all lumps. Keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds splutter, add asafoetida, cloves, curry leaves and green chilli and sauté on a medium flame for a minute.
- Add the ginger, drumstick leaves, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the curds mixture, ber and salt, mix well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Health Star Of The Week
A hefty Ganesh found it difficult to walk around or cycle in the chemical plant where he...
Favourite Recipe Of The Week
For a healthy breakfast one needs to blend nutrition and fibre. Nutritionist Priya Kathpal...
With the mercury levels rising to new highs everyday, summer seems to completely drain us...
Oxytocin - the natural love drug plays a crucial role in nurturing our relationships,...