Most people have mild reactions to insect bites, but some have severe allergic reasons that require emergency treatment. In addition, some insects carry disease, although this is rare.
Insect bites or stings that cause severe pain and swelling at the site of the bite, a generalized rash or any swelling of the face or difficulty breathing, require immediate medical evaluation.
If you are stung by an insect, such as a bee, treat the area by:
- Removing the stinger. Scrape or flick it out with something stiff like a credit card, or even grasp it with tweezers and pull it straight out, to avoid squeezing more venom into the wound.
- Washing the wound with soap and water.
- Using cold compresses or ice to help reduce any swelling and relieve pain. Monitoring for signs of severe allergic reaction.
- If a bite or sting wound remains or worsens over several days, seek medical treatment for possible infection. Get immediate medical attention if you have been bitten or stung and you exhibit signs of an extreme allergic reaction or anaphylaxis.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction include:
- Hives, itching or rash at the site or even away from the bite area
- Swollen lips or eyelids
- Swelling of the throat
- Difficult or noisy breathing (wheezing)
- Loss of consciousness
Health Star Of The Week
A hefty Ganesh found it difficult to walk around or cycle in the chemical plant where he...
Favourite Recipe Of The Week
For a healthy breakfast one needs to blend nutrition and fibre. Nutritionist Priya Kathpal...
With the mercury levels rising to new highs everyday, summer seems to completely drain us...
Oxytocin - the natural love drug plays a crucial role in nurturing our relationships,...