Vegan Recipes: Red Pumpkin with Coconut
Anuradha SawhneyOur vegan expert, Anuradha Sawhney shares Vidya Balan's simple and healthy red pumpkin with coconut recipe from her latest book 'The Vegan Kitchen: Bollywood Style!'. This book brings together recipes from no less than 50 leading names from the world of Bollywood, fashion and music. Anupam Kher, Dilip Kumar, Gulshan Grover, Hema Malini, John Abraham, Mahesh Bhatt, Om Puri, R. Madhavan, Rahul Khanna, Saira Banu, Sonakshi Sinha, Sonam Kapoor, Vidya Balan...to name a few.
Red Pumpkin with Coconut recipe by Vidya Balan, as featured in Anuradha's book The Vegan Kitchen: Bollywood Style!.
500 gms red pumpkin
A lemon-sized ball of tamarind
½ tsp turmeric powder
A nut-sized ball of jaggery
Salt to taste
2 tbsp grated dried coconut
½ tsp mustard seeds
1-2 green chillies
1 tsp oil (optional)
¾ tsp mustard seeds
- Peel the pumpkin and cut it into ½” cubes.
- Soak the tamarind in 1/3rd cup of water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind with your hand and press the juice through a strainer into a small bowl. Discard the residue in the strainer.
- Grind the coconut paste ingredients to a fine consistency. Set aside.
- Put the pumpkin in a pan with the tamarind juice, turmeric powder and jaggery. Place the pan over moderate-hot heat and boil, till the pumpkin is tender. When necessary, add some water so the pumpkin does not burn.
- Taste and add salt.
- Add the coconut paste and give it a stir.
- Pour in 2 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Heat the oil for tempering in a small pan (optional). Add the mustard seeds and when they splutter, pour the contents of the pan into the pumpkin.
- Give it a stir and remove from heat.
- Serve with steamed brown rice.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
It's tempting to lounge around the house, snacking and binge-watching your favourite...
Here are some healthy food swaps that will help you make the right choices to treat...
Here are some tips to help you get through the party season without throwing up, passing...