What is depression?
Depression is a serious mental disorder that involves the brain. There are different types of depression depending on different factors like genetics, biochemical, psychological and even postpartum depression. It adversely affects the daily routine and needs medical advice.
Symptoms of depression:
1) Depression affects weight
2) You’re depressed every moment, every day.
3) You are suicidal
4) Lack of other positive emotions
5) Change in sleep patterns
6) Depression is a painful experience
7) Lack of interest and energy
Treatments for depression:
Depression and sadness are not the same mental disorder, but the term is interchangeable for a layman. To clear away the doubts and misconceptions, we separate the facts between depression and sadness.
ALSO SEE: How to Deal with Depression
What is sadness?
Sadness is a human emotion and it is a normal emotion. You experience sadness when unpleasant situations occur. Sadness is not consistent. A person normally does not feel sad everyday and every moment for a long duration. In moments of sadness you can experience laughter. Sadness is not classified as an illness.
Symptoms of sadness:
1) Sadness is not constant
2) You can experience other emotions
3) Sadness does not drive you to suicide
4) Your weight remains constant
5) You can get over sadness and move on
6) Sadness does not destroy your life
Treatments for sadness:
You do not need a psychosis for sadness, but you can socialise to prevent sadness from turning into depression. Keeping yourself busy, talking about it, going out, making friends and sleeping are a ways to get rid of sadness.
FOR MORE: Fight Depression: 20 Best Foods for Happiness
*Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images