Motivating Your Child to Lose Weight
Encouraging children to lose weight is perhaps one of the trickiest situations for today’s parents. Encouraging a child to start exercising for weight loss without over-doing it so that the child doesn’t end up hating exercise, is an important factor in raising healthy and fit children. But there’s good news here, since it turns out that cheering a kid to start exercising is not entirely impossible. Especially if you adopt a role model outlook to your child’s upbringing. If your children look up to you as an exercise role model, your task of explaining health, fitness and healthy weight loss to them will be a lot easier.
Parents' attitudes count: A parent’s general attitude toward health, nutrition, body image, exercise and nutrition plays an important role in his/her kid’s weight-loss effort. Even if one parent leads a healthy lifestyle in the family, the child develops long-term healthy weigh management beliefs.
Obese parents tend to have overweight children: Another key reason why children tend to be overweight is because their parents are overweight. Children recognize obesity as an acceptable body image and work lesser toward losing weight for good health.
Age-appropriate Exercises: Here are a few tips which parents must keep in mind before encouraging their overweight kid/s to start exercising:
- A child’s activities need to suit three basic factors such as his size, age and physical development. For instance, distance running can be a great way for your teenager but can be too stressful – and very obviously not much fun, for a much younger child who does not like running.
- If your child limps or experiences any muscle discomfort or pain for more than a couple of hours, consult a paediatrician.
- Weight training and contact sports might not be ideal for younger kids. Consult the trainer about age recommendations for each activity.
- Set short-term health goals. Competition is good unless it’s overdone. Have a long hearty conversation with people who run your kid’s school sports league to gauge whether the outlook and approach of coaches fits with your child’s abilities.
- Make sure that your child has all kind of protective gear which he or she might need when performing sports activities such as helmets for bikers, and knee pads for cricketers.
Health Star Of The Week
The feeling of being a mother had left Rupa ecstatic, but the repercussions of fat rich...
Multiple orgasms, the holy grail of sex. Men capable of dishing them out are considered sex...
Monsoon is all about acne prone skin, zits and pimples due to dust, frizzy hair and dirty...