Diet Review: Sugar Busters Diet
‘Cut Sugar to Trim Fat’ is the slogan that describes this diet. The basic theory behind the sugar busters diet is that sugar is not good for the biomechanics system of our body and when sugar is eaten it causes an increase in human insulin which in turn encourages weight gain. Dr. Simran Saini, Weight Loss Management Consultant at Fortis Hospital, New Delhi helps us in reviewing the sugar busters diet in detail.
How does the Sugar Buster Diet work?
The Sugar Busters Diet follows a 30% protein, 40% fat and 30% carbohydrate plan that doesn't limit portion sizes. However, it bans all high glycemic index foods including refined sugar in any beverage, sugar in cakes, sweets and all aerated drinks are all ruled out in the sugar busters diet. However, some healthy foods are also banned from this diet such as potatoes and carrots and all fruits and vegetables listed under high glycemic index foods.
Sample Menu of Sugar Buster Diet
- Orange juice
- 1 bowl of oatmeal with 1 glass of skimmed milk
- Handful of nuts
- Whole wheat pasta cooked with vegetables such as onions, bell peppers and mushrooms
- Diet drink (any) or tea
- Grilled fish with cooked brown rice
- Steamed green beans
Some essential of Sugar Busters Diet:
- Eliminate high-glycemic foods.
- Eat only low-glycemic foods such as lean meat and certain fruits and vegetables within the daily formula of 40% to 50% carbohydrates, 30% protein, and 30% fat.
- Eat only unsaturated fats
- Eat fruit of low glycemic index by itself, preferably only once a day.
- Eliminate all alcoholic drinks except occasional red wine.
Foods one cannot eat on the Sugar Busters Diet (High Glycemic Index Foods)
- White bread (includes any bread made with white flour )
- Pasta, unless whole grain
- White rice
- White flour, and products made with it such as cake, cookies and muffins
- Potatoes and potato products in any form
- Sugar and products with added refined sugar such as cakes
- Jams and jellies containing added sugars
- High glycemic index fruits: Ripe bananas, Raisins, Pineapple
- Fruit drinks containing added sugar
- Sugar-sweetened soft drinks
Foods one can eat in Sugar Busters Diet (Low Glycemic Index foods)
- Fruits and vegetables in low glycemic index list such as beans. Apples and more
- Whole grains, such as brown rice and oatmeal
- Whole grain flour
- Fruit juices
- Sweet potatoes
- Lean meats
- Fish and seafood
- Nuts and nut butters
- Flax Seeds
- Olive and canola oils
- Low fat milk and other dairy products (low fat sour cream, yogurt, etc, with no added sugar)
- Mayonnaise and other sauces and dressings with no added sugar
- Artificial sweeteners
Advantages of Sugar Busters Diet
- By eliminating high glycemic foods this diet also eliminates lots of unhealthy 'junk' foods from our diet such as pasta made with refined flour, cakes and double cheese pizza.
- It also eliminates excess sugar which is consumed in our regular routines these days and especially fizzy drinks which contain only empty calories. Owing to our sedentary lifestyle we actually need to cut down on these empty calories that lead to obesity and long term health complications.
- It has distinguished food guidelines or parameters and meal plans and thus it is easy to follow.
- It does not rely on calorie counting or portion control of food which means one can eat to their content and one does not need to starve while on the Sugar Busters Diet.
- Results for weight loss are fast and actually visible in a few days.
- Getting 40% of your calories from foods such as vegetables, fruits, and whole grains makes it easy to eat a nutrient-rich diet that is high in fiber.
Disadvantages of the diet
- Sugar is not exactly toxic or harmful for our body if taken in the right amount. Thus, there should not be the need to say an absolute no to sugar and yet a complete yes to artificial sweeteners.
- Secondly, since portion sizes are not limited this diet seems baseless because eating excess of low glycemic foods would again yield an increase in the blood sugar levels.
- The diet also ends up eliminating certain and many foods with good nutrition value such as potatoes and bananas. This is a loss of nutrition which comes from different food groups.
- It is difficult to stick to any particular diet for very long and when one is back to eating eliminated foods one is sure to put back more weight.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
When it comes to fish, most people tend to either love it or hate it. If you already love...
Having a healthy sex life is a great way to stay fit, happy and connected with your...
Everyone is in search of a secret product for glowing skin. But what they fail to...