Abdominal Obesity: How to Prevent Abdominal Obesity
Abdominal obesity, excess stomach fat or simply belly fat, can be a disaster area for every individual. Abdominal obesity can hamper confidence, making a person conscious, which may reflect on social interactions, not to mention the disease risk factors associated with abdominal obesity. Hence, to help you stay miles away from this appearance and health disaster zone, Dr. Deepak Chaturvedi - Physician Endocrinologist, Diabetologist, Antiaging Specialist and Bariatrician based in Mumbai, helps us understand the what, why and how of abdominal obesity.
What is Abdominal Obesity?
Abdominal obesity means excessive fat build up around the stomach area. Abdominal obesity can occur among every individual, with no barrier in gender, age and sex. Children and teenagers can be a victim of abdominal obesity, if their parents are down with abdominal obesity. Dr. Deepak says, " There exists a strong relation between abdominal obesity and various cardiovascular ailments. Hence, you should be extra cautious about abdominal obesity. The best way to avoid abdominal obesity is by preventing it."
What causes Abdominal Obesity?
The real reason behind abdominal obesity is still not known, but there exist a combination between the genes and environment. The reasons can be decreased insulin sensitivity, maternal smoking, consuming estrogenic food stuffs, hereditary, late night eating habits, stress, tension and other gastrointestinal problems or improper digestion.
How can one prevent Abdominal Obesity?
Dr. Deepak says, "More than exercise, what you eat matters; a proper diet is a must if you want to stay away from abdominal obesity." He further adds, "Abdominal obesity means high insulin level or stress hormone. If you have abdominal obesity, it clearly indicates that there is something going wrong in your system and you need to correct it by taking appropriate steps to avoid health problems. The best way to ward off abdominal obesity from your life is by taking preventive measures. Follow these effective preventive measures and say good-bye to abdominal obesity forever.
- Drink lots of water throughout the day. Water is the best natural resource available to throw out waste.
- Eat your food at your own time. Munch it thoroughly before swallowing it as eating quickly can lead to air swallowing. Hence, slow down and enjoy your delicious meal.
- Limit consumption of carbonated water. Instead drink lemon water.
- Say NO to sugary items.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Eat small meals, and eat after every 3-4 hours.
- Avoid late night eating.
- Include at least 45 minutes of daily exercise in your life.
- Get a proper 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Include low fat dietary products like skimmed milk and low fat cheese and yoghurt.
- Control hypertension.
- Check your cholesterol level regularly.
- Control your weight.
*Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Absolutely love those deep backed cholis but ashamed of the state of your back? Luckily,...
Herbs and spices have been traditionally used for their flavour-enhancing and medicinal...
The human body is simply amazing, with several functions and abilities that we don’t even...