How to Poach Eggs for Breakfast [Guest Recipe]
If you love eggs, then this one's for you! Chhavi Sachdev, communications consultant and radio journalist, shares her version of healthy poached eggs with HealthMeUp. She mentions two methods of preparing poached eggs – in a microwave or over the stove. Let’s check them out. Over to Chhavi's healthy poached egg recipes...
Shortcut “poached” eggs - microwave version:
You need: A microwave, a microwave safe small bowl/ramekin, an egg.
- Break the egg into the ramekin and puncture the surface with a fork, swirl it around without breaking the yolk. You need the membrane to be porous or you will have an egg explosion inside your oven, which will stink and is a pain to clean up.
- Nuke for 30 seconds on 50% power. If you can’t figure this out, just nuke on full power for 20 seconds.
- Wait 3 seconds. Repeat nuking for 30/20 seconds.
- Wait 3 more seconds. Ignore any noises inside the microwave. Repeat nuking.
- If you like your egg yolk hard, do it one more time.
- Use a wet knife to get the perfectly rounded ‘poached’ egg out of the ramekin on to your waiting English muffin.
Shortcut “poached” eggs - stovetop version:
You need: A metal bowl, a saucepan with 200 ml of water heating in it (lid preferable), egg.
- Set saucepan with water on stove, on full heat till boils.
- Break egg into the metal bowl. I dab one drop of oil in it to make the egg removal easier
- Put the metal bowl into the saucepan with the water, reduce heat to simmer
- Cover, let the steam do it’s job.
- Peek in about 3 minutes in. switch off when yolk is at the color/hardness you require.
- Use a “pakkad” or tongs to get the metal bowl out, and a wet knife to slide the egg out on to your toast.
And there you have it - a simple, no-fuss, healthy method of poaching eggs with what you have in the kitchen. Try it out and tell us how it went!
If you have a healthy recipe to share, tell us on Twitter, Facebook, leave a comment below, or simply email us here: email@example.com. We look forward to your healthy recipes!
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Absolutely love those deep backed cholis but ashamed of the state of your back? Luckily,...
Herbs and spices have been traditionally used for their flavour-enhancing and medicinal...
The human body is simply amazing, with several functions and abilities that we don’t even...