Healthy Recipe: Vegetable Brown Rice with Red Cabbage Raita
This dish is perfect for all those people who don’t want to fidget with their waistline and also not give up their love for rice. This dish is loaded with all the healthy ingredients like carrots, spinach and brown rice. If you have a party or just want to fulfill your craving for rice, opt for this dish to keep your calorie content minimum without affecting yummy factor. Try out this delicious and healthy brown rice recipe by Ms. Priya Kathpal, Nutritionist, Mumbai. *Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
1. 1 medium cup brown rice (soaked for an hour)
2. 1 small tomato chopped
3. 1 small onion chopped
4. 4 tbsp chopped spinach
5. ¼ cup chopped carrots
6. ¼ cup fresh peas
7. 1 green chilly chopped
8. ½ tsp red chilly powder
9. ¼ tsp biryani masala
10. ¼ tsp jeera
11. ½ tsp ginger paste
12. Salt to taste
13. 2 tsp oil
1. 250 gms low fat curds
2. ¼ cup chopped red cabbage
3. Pinch of salt
4. ¼ tsp jeera powder
1. Pressure cook brown rice till full 2 whistles with 1 and ½ cups of water. Add little salt in the water. Drain excess water if any, after cooking and spread the rice for cooling.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick deep pan. On medium flame add jeera and red chilli powder and allow it to crackle for few seconds.
3. Now add onions, peas and carrots to this and sauté till they get semi cooked.
4. Now add salt, biryani masala, green chili and ginger paste and cook for few more seconds on medium flame.
5. Add cooked rice and mix well to avoid stickiness. Now add tomatoes and spinach and cook just for few seconds while mixing. Tomatoes and spinach should not be cooked till done as they are more like garnish.
6. Remove from flame and cover the pan and allow it to stand in steam for a while.
7. Take a bowl and whip the curds till smooth, add salt and jeera powder along with chopped cabbage (make sure they are chilled and crisp).
8. Serve hot rice with this great tasting raita.
*Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
In the lead up to Diwali and the festive season we all need to watch what we eat.
Celery's an underdog when it comes to healthy foods, because it is rarely given credit...
The human body is simply amazing, with several functions and abilities that we don’t even...