Healthy Okra Stir-Fry
Highly recommended in cholesterol-fighting and weight-reduction diets, okra or bhindi as we know it in India, is a great side dish for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike. A healthy serving of this popular Indian vegetable will give you less than 50 calories, along with healthy dietary fibre and essential nutrients like vitamins A, C and K, and folates. Add to that, this simple 10 minute recipe and you've got an efficient way to meet your daily vegetable intake as well as natural nutrients. This simple and healthy okra stir-fry recipe will hold you in good stead.
- 1 kilo okra - washed, dried and chopped
- 1 onion - sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Juice of one lime
- Salt to taste
- Add oil, cumin seeds and mustard seeds to a non-stick cooking pan on high heat. Stir till seeds start crackling.
- Add sliced onions to the pan and stir till the onions become slightly transclucent.
- Now add all the spices and salt and mix well.
- After a minute, add the okra and stir well - incorporating all spices with the chopped vegetable. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, you will notice that the okra starts leaving a wet residue. This is the exact time to add the juice of lime - as it seals and deals with it. You will notice the okra's colour will darken and bind.
- Simmer the flame, after adding the lime juice, and cook (uncovered) for another 5-10 minutes. How much longer you cook it for, depends on how crunchy or soft you like your vegetables.
Mix and match: You can add some boiled potatoes with a pinch of dry mango powder to this mix, after the onion stage, to give it more bulk and flavour.
Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Healthy eating is not just a matter replacing junk food with nutrient rich food. Healthy...
We come across toxic products several times in our daily lives, and use them without a...
Everyone is in search of a secret product for glowing skin. But what they fail to...