Healthy Gulab Jamun Recipe
Unarguably the most popular Indian dessert, a regular in every party, family function or marriages, we love Gulab Jamuns! Gulab Jamun is sweet and the frying makes if makes it more heavy on your diet. So Chef Kunal Kapur, MasterChef India Judge and Executive Sous-Chef, The Leela Kempinski, Gurgaon, gives a simple tweak to the recipe by replacing the hydrogenated vegetable oil to canola oil makes for a great healthy substitute.Try it today!
- 1 no lemon slice
- 1 L water
- 50 g chenna (milk solids left after removing the whey by way of curdling milk)
- 150 g mava
- 30 g maida (flour)
- 10 g corn flour
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 500 g sugar
- canola oil for frying
- Mix sugar, lemon slice and water and keep on fire to boil. Remove any scum. Reduce to 3/4th. Remove half of syrup, keep aside and boil the rest until it reaches 2-string consistency. Remove from fire and keep warm.
- Take clean marble or wide paraat; mix chenna and khoya together and mash with base of palm to ensure there are no grains. Mix in maida, cardamom powder, corn flour and baking powder.
- Make into tight round balls of approximately 30 g each. Heat canola oil to medium-hot and gently slide gulab jamuns in oil.
- Make sure you don’t put any spoon now as there are chances it may break; wait till the gulab jamun starts to float. Gently increase flame and cook until golden brown.
- Remove and drop gently into light sugar syrup. Keep there for 10-12 minutes. Transfer the same into sugar syrup with 2-string consistency. Let rest for half an hour. Before serving, gently heat with syrup.
Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 2 nos, 30 g each.
Note: When shaping into balls, make sure there are no cracks or the gulab jamun will split on frying.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving
- Carbohydrates - 58g
- Protein - 7g
- Fat - 25g
- Saturated fat - 9g
- Cholesterol - 64mg
- Fiber - 0 g
- Sodium - 102mg
- Calories - 485
*Image and Recipe Courtesy: Chef Kunal Kapur, MasterChef India Judge and Executive Sous-Chef, The Leela Kempinski, Gurgaon
Garlic, a regular staple in Indian households, is the ultimate superfood. Apart from giving...
Having a healthy sex life is a great way to stay fit, happy and connected with your...
Everyone is in search of a secret product for glowing skin. But what they fail to...