Chef Recipes: Oven-Roasted Falafel
*Image courtesy: © Julie Van Rosendaal
Falafel is a crispy vegetarian patty made of chickpeas, garlic, onion and spices. It makes for an easy, inexpensive dinner or unique party food. Traditionally, the patties are pan-fried in a hot skillet, but these are brushed with canola oil and roasted at a high heat, in order to create a rich crisp exterior. This 180 calorie dish is a sure shot win and will be loved by kids and adults alike. Do check the nutritional info before reading the recipe. Bon appétit!
Author of One Smart Cookie, among other cookbooks, Julie Van Rosendaal is referred to as the “queen of the skinny sweet” and the “poster girl for low fat cooking.” She’s the food and nutrition columnist on the Calgary Eyeopener on CBC Radio One, co-host of TV’s It’s Just Food and writes and is the photographer for her popular blog, DinnerwithJulie.com, which documents real life in her home kitchen in Ramsay.
Nutritional Analysis Per Serving:
- Calories 180
- Total Fat 6 g
- Saturated Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 150 mg
- Carbohydrates 27 g
- Fibre 6 g
- Protein 9 g
- 1 19-oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained 540 mL
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley 30 mL
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro 30 mL
- 1 tsp ground cumin 5 mL
- 1/4 tsp salt 1 mL
- Pinch dried chili flakes
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (plus extra, if needed) 60 mL
- 1 tsp baking powder 5 mL
- Canola oil for cooking
- Fresh pitas, tzatziki, chopped cucumber, tomatoes and purple onion for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 ˚F (220 ˚C).
- In food processor bowl, place chickpeas, onion, garlic, parsley, cilantro, cumin, salt, and chili flakes in bowl of food processor and pulse until combined but still chunky.
- Add flour and baking powder and pulse until it turns into soft mixture that you can roll into balls without sticking to your hands. (Add another spoonful of flour if it seems too sticky.)
- Roll dough into meatball-sized balls and gently flatten each into little patty.
- Place patties on heavy-rimmed baking sheet, preferably one that’s dark in colour. Brush each patty with canola oil, flip them over and brush other side.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then flip them over and roast for another 10, until crisp and golden on both sides.
- Serve warm, wrapped in pitas, with tzatziki, chopped cucumber, tomatoes and purple onion.
- Yield: 20 falafel patties. Serving size: 3 patties.
Tip: For a unique party dish, serve small falafel balls with tzatziki for dipping.
Health Star Of The Week
The feeling of being a mother had left Rupa ecstatic, but the repercussions of fat rich...
Multiple orgasms, the holy grail of sex. Men capable of dishing them out are considered sex...
Monsoon is all about acne prone skin, zits and pimples due to dust, frizzy hair and dirty...