Women’s Health: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) is a hormonal disorder that affects women who are menstruating. This disorder happens one or two weeks before the actual menstrual cycle begins.
- Water Retention
- Skin Eruption
- Bloated Abdomen
- Back Aches
- Tenderness of Breast
- Joint Pain
- Changes in personality like anger, violence and even suicidal tendency.
Hormone imbalance is one of the main causes of PMS. During this time, the body produces excess estrogen and lesser amounts of progesterone. The other factor that causes PMS is low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). Due to fluid retention, the blood flow reduces the oxygen that has to reach the uterus, ovaries and brain leading to PMS.
There are some things which a woman should keep in mind during her PMS that would be beneficial for her to avoid the symptoms:
- One should avoid an excess intake of salt, caffeine, alcohol, red meats, dairy products, sugar and processed foods.
- Smoking is injurious to health, so one should avoid smoking.
- A medical checkup of the thyroid gland should be done. Generally, women suffering from PMS have a dysfunctional thyroid.
- To alleviate the symptoms of PMS one can include Spirulina in their diet.
- A proper balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, grains, cereals, beans, peas, lentils and nuts is always good for one’s health.
- Our body requires lots of water, so try and drink plenty of water.
*Data Courtesy: Holistic Guru and Healthmeup expert, Mickey Mehta
Healthy eating is not just a matter replacing junk food with nutrient rich food. Healthy...
We come across toxic products several times in our daily lives, and use them without a...
Everyone is in search of a secret product for glowing skin. But what they fail to...