Sleep talking can be scary and fun, depending on what the person says or who witnesses the sleep talker’s babble. Sleep talking, formally known as somniloquy, is a sleep disorder defined as talking during sleep without being aware of it. Sleep talking can involve complicated dialogues or monologues, complete gibberish or mumbling. (Via)
Causes of sleep talking: Sleep talking is usually short lived and can last for as short as one month to one year depending on physiological and psychological changes. These are the major causes of sleep talking:
- Sleep talking maybe hereditary
- Sleep deprivation
Facts about Sleep Talking
- The sleep talker is unaware about the conversation.
- Sleep talking is more closely associated with children than with males. 50 percent children tend to sleep talk and 5 percent occurs with adults.
- Males are more likely to sleep talk than females
- The language and speech changes when the person is sleep talking
- The conversation may not make sense or it could be linked to past experiences and relationships.
Sleep talking may be associated with: Sleep terrors, sleep walking, confusional arousal, apnea, REM sleep behaviour disorder, psychiatric disorders and nocturnal seizures.
The treatment for sleep talking depends on the cause. A physician should be consulted before taking any major step. The sleep talker may need psychiatric help depending on the trauma. Avoid alcohol and medication if it is affecting this sleep disorder.
Bottom line: Sleep talking is not a long term problem, medical help will put this problem to rest.
*Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Health Star Of The Week
A hefty Ganesh found it difficult to walk around or cycle in the chemical plant where he...
Favourite Recipe Of The Week
For a healthy breakfast one needs to blend nutrition and fibre. Nutritionist Priya Kathpal...
With the mercury levels rising to new highs everyday, summer seems to completely drain us...
Oxytocin - the natural love drug plays a crucial role in nurturing our relationships,...