Medical Checkups: For 40 Year Olds
Louis Harris and Associates conducted a survey of 4,350 men and women, and discovered that one in three men and women have not visited a doctor for more than 6 months. The result of the survey comes with no surprise, as we generally have this tendency to stick to these four golden words “as long as possible” before actually making an attempt to visit a doctor. Doctors usually advise patients that as soon as you hit your 30s or 40s, you should get certain age-specific medical checkups done. Here’s a list of must-do medical checkups for 40 year olds:
Medical checkups for 40 year old men and women:
- Exercise stress testing – If you often suffer from short-lived, but acute, chest pain, or you have a family history of coronary heart disease, then this test is a must for you in order to check the working of your heart.
- Physical cancer exam – This test must be performed on a yearly basis.
- Dental checkups – Visit the dentist once every 6 months.
- Height/weight measurements – This will determine whether your weight is within the ideal weight zone, especially since most lifestyle diseases are associated with weight gain or sudden weight loss.
- Blood pressure – Blood pressure must be checked once in every 6 months to make sure that you don’t suffer from hypertension.
- Stool sample – Stool sample test helps in detecting any kind of impurities in the blood and must be done once in every 2 years once you cross 40.
- Cholesterol – Cholesterol levels must be tested once in every 3 years from the age of 40.
- Blood sugar – Blood sugar test helps in ruling out diseases like diabetes.
- Colonoscopy – This test should ideally be performed when you have reached 50 years of age. But, people who have a family history of colon cancer should get this test done at 40 itself.
- Vaccinations – Ensure that all your vaccinations are under check once you have crossed 40.
Medical checkups for 40 year old women
- Pap smears – This is a must-do test in order to keep cervical changes under check.
- Mammogram – If you have witnessed any changes in your breast tissue, then this is a must-do test for you. If not, even then getting a mammogram done once in 3 years will help in giving the doctor a better baseline reading for future comparisons.
- FSH test – This test helps in determining your menopause stage.
- Breast exam – Annual breast exams are a must test for any women who has crossed 40.
- Ultrasound – Ultrasound helps in keeping any changes in the ovaries in check.
- Pelvic exam – This is an annual test which helps in trapping any changes in the vagina, fallopian tubes, bladder, rectum, uterus or vagina.
Medical checkups for 40 year old men
- Prostate exam – This helps in making sure that there are no abnormalities. This test must be performed once in every 2 years to keep prostate cancer at bay.
- Testosterone levels – Testosterone levels must be checked once every year, to ensure normal levels.
Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Many people’s jobs require them to sit in the same spot for several hours at a time,...
Do you feel exhausted every time you head to the gym? Workout fatigue is a real problem...
Refined foods get clogged in the colon, causing gas, indigestion, flatulence and...