A kind of vascular headache, migraines are caused by nerve swellings that result in expansion of blood vessels in the brain. Inflammation leads to further enlargement of arteries, which in turn escalates into debilitating pain. Usually accompanied by nausea and photophobia, it is one of the most under-diagnosed and under-treated problems. Today we have, Dr Praveen Gupta, Consultant, Neurology at Artemis Health Institute, Gurgaon take us through the top 12 list of do’s and don’ts when you are suffering from migraines.
- Patients, who have been diagnosed with migraine, should continue to take the prescribed medication.
- Migraine patients should avoid exposure to frequent temperature change.
- Avoid any alternative treatments at home.
- It is important to remember that migraines, at times, can be fatal. So, it is advisable to seek medical advice.
- Ensure that you get 6-8 hrs of sound sleep.
- Yoga, meditation & morning walks are a few ways to keep you healthy. Maintain a daily routine of exercise.
- An unhealthy lifestyle can lead to migraines, specially skipping meals or not eating on time. A migraine patient should avoid fasting and food containing fat.
- Avoid strong perfumes.
- Stress could be a big reason for triggering migraines.
- Avoid direct sunlight. Use goggles and umbrellas when stepping out in the day.
- Avoid prolonged use of analgesics.
- Paracetamol or aspirin work well for many migraine attacks. (Children under 16 should not take aspirin.) Take a dose as early as possible after symptoms begin. If you take painkillers early enough, they often reduce the severity of the headache, or stop it completely.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Health Star Of The Week
A hefty Ganesh found it difficult to walk around or cycle in the chemical plant where he...
Favourite Recipe Of The Week
For a healthy breakfast one needs to blend nutrition and fibre. Nutritionist Priya Kathpal...
With the mercury levels rising to new highs everyday, summer seems to completely drain us...
Oxytocin - the natural love drug plays a crucial role in nurturing our relationships,...