Lifestyle Awareness: Migraine Do’s and Don’ts
A kind of vascular headache, migraines are caused by nerve swellings that result in expansion of blood vessels in the brain. Inflammation leads to further enlargement of arteries, which in turn escalates into debilitating pain. Usually accompanied by nausea and photophobia, it is one of the most under-diagnosed and under-treated problems. Today we have, Dr Praveen Gupta, Consultant, Neurology at Artemis Health Institute, Gurgaon take us through the top 12 list of do’s and don’ts when you are suffering from migraines.
- Patients, who have been diagnosed with migraine, should continue to take the prescribed medication.
- Migraine patients should avoid exposure to frequent temperature change.
- Avoid any alternative treatments at home.
- It is important to remember that migraines, at times, can be fatal. So, it is advisable to seek medical advice.
- Ensure that you get 6-8 hrs of sound sleep.
- Yoga, meditation & morning walks are a few ways to keep you healthy. Maintain a daily routine of exercise.
- An unhealthy lifestyle can lead to migraines, specially skipping meals or not eating on time. A migraine patient should avoid fasting and food containing fat.
- Avoid strong perfumes.
- Stress could be a big reason for triggering migraines.
- Avoid direct sunlight. Use goggles and umbrellas when stepping out in the day.
- Avoid prolonged use of analgesics.
- Paracetamol or aspirin work well for many migraine attacks. (Children under 16 should not take aspirin.) Take a dose as early as possible after symptoms begin. If you take painkillers early enough, they often reduce the severity of the headache, or stop it completely.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Garlic, a regular staple in Indian households, is the ultimate superfood. Apart from giving...
Having a healthy sex life is a great way to stay fit, happy and connected with your...
Everyone is in search of a secret product for glowing skin. But what they fail to...