Important Pregnancy Nutrition Tips
“Oh, you are expecting? Then you must eat for two! “This is a normal reaction from people when they hear of someone's pregnancy news. But which advise to take and which one to ignore can get tricky for a pregnant woman. That’s why we have Dr. Shilpa Mittal - Nutritionist, Diet Consultant and Founder of Nutrilife Health Management, Mumbai to share some important nutrition tip, so that you know when to pay heed to advise and when to ignore. *Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
‘A pregnant mother must take a balanced diet which means some or other thing from the entire food group.’ – says Ms. Shilpa. She further adds – ‘A pregnant woman need 300 Kcal extra calories, 15gm extra protein, 600mg extra calcium and 8 mg extra iron. Though iron and calcium supplement is already given to pregnant women but meeting these demands from diet is of equal importance.’
Some Important Pointers
- As there may be a feeling of nausea, a pregnant woman cannot have a full meal at one time, so it is necessary to go for frequent light meals.
- Add quality protein, calcium, riboflavin and host of other nutrients by incorporating good amounts of milk, curds, paneer, dals, sprouts, dry fruits.
- If you are a non-vegetarian, you can have egg/fish/lean chicken (twice a week).
- Incorporate 3 bowls of vegetables a day, preferably one as a green leafy vegetable and a variety of other seasonal vegetables. Make a bowl of salad a part of your daily meal.
- For fruits, opt for one starchy (banana,chickoo), one citrus, and one coloured / seasonal fruit.
- Use wholegrain cereals like ragi flour, bajri, jowar, thalipeeth, and corn
*Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Related article: Folic Acid In Pregnancy Related To Lower Autism Risks
Be the next Femina Miss India 2014. Registrations open now! Click here to apply
Health Star Of The Week
22-year-old Ajith was stunned when a little kid referred to him as ‘uncle.' This...
Stress can cause emotional eating, which leads to unhealthy weight gain. But eating the...
Premature ejaculation can get you down and ruin your sex life. Learn to delay ejaculation...