Importance of Immunisation (World Immunisation Week)
Immunisation has helped avert thousands of childhood deaths. Children are now protected against measles, whooping cough, tetanus and polio with the help of vaccines. Since its World Immunisation Week, we got Dr. K.M. Sunesara, General Physician, Mumbai to help us understand the importance of immunisation.
According to WHO, 'Immunisation is the process whereby a person is made immune or resistant to an infectious disease, typically by the administration of a vaccine. Vaccines stimulate the body’s own immune system to protect the person against subsequent infection or disease.'
WHO also states that immuniaation averts an estimated 2-3 million deaths every year, providing protection from diphtheria, measles, pertussis (whooping cough), pneumonia, polio, rotavirus diarrhoea, rubella and tetanus. Yet, an estimated 22 million infants are not fully immunized with routine vaccines. There is an urgent need to better communicate the health benefits of vaccination and the dangers of not immunizing children.
• Immunisation saves a child’s life: Immunisation helps to protect your child against various diseases.
• Immunisation is safe and effective: All vaccines that are given to children are completely safe and effective, as various medical professionals have tested them. The only discomfort can be pain, redness or tender feeling among few.
• Immunisation prevents spread of diseases: If a person is immunised, there is little to risk of an epidemic. Thus, it also prevents spreading of the disease.
• Immunisation saves time and money: A prolonged illness can take a toll on your finance as well as your precious time. Immunisation is a good investment, as it saves time, money and promotes good health.
• Immunisation protects future: Immunisation has helped to eradicate polio to some extent. If we keep on practicing immunisation, in near future we will be able to eradicate all these diseases completely.
• Immunisation has reduced mortality rate
• Immunisation has made children more healthy and fit.
• Immunisation promotes long life span.
Losing weight has always been considered a simple matter of counting calories - the amount...
Having a healthy sex life is a great way to stay fit, happy and connected with your...
Everyone is in search of a secret product for glowing skin. But what they fail to...