Sudden Infant Death Syndrome or SIDS is the sudden, unexplained death of an infant. It is one of the leading causes of deaths among children between one month and one year of age. Though the exact cause of this syndrome is yet to be found, there are ways to keep your baby away from this syndrome. Today, we have Ms. Sunita Pathania – Sr. Registered Dietician and Diabetes Educator, Healthy Living Diet Clinic, Mumbai, who shares some measures, in order to minimize its risks.
Place your baby on its back, whenever the baby is sleeping
- The risk of SIDS is over three times higher for a baby sleeping on the stomach.
- Make sure your baby is sleeping on his/her back right from birth. This will make your baby feel comfortable when s/he is asleep.
Keep your baby's environment smoke-free
- Completely avoid smoking from the time that you try to concieve. The more you smoke, the greater the risk for SIDS.
- Keep your baby stay away from second–hand smoke as well, because even second-hand smoke is a risk factor.
Make the baby’s environment as safe as possible
- Place the baby to sleep in its own crib for the first six months.
- Never share a bed with baby when you have had alcohol or drugs.
- Always keep baby’s crib clean and free from objects like toys.
- Never cover baby’s head with a blanket or bed sheet.
- Use a new, safe and firm mattress for your baby.
Breastfeeding is good for your baby
- Breast feeding is always suggested for its abundant benefits for babies and mothers. Breastfeeding also reduces the risk for SIDS.
- Infants who are immunized have less risk of SIDS and are also protected against diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough and other ailments.
*Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Health Star Of The Week
A hefty Ganesh found it difficult to walk around or cycle in the chemical plant where he...
Favourite Recipe Of The Week
For a healthy breakfast one needs to blend nutrition and fibre. Nutritionist Priya Kathpal...
With the mercury levels rising to new highs everyday, summer seems to completely drain us...
Oxytocin - the natural love drug plays a crucial role in nurturing our relationships,...