Acid Reflux: 6 Dietary Guidelines to Decrease Stomach Acid
Stomach acid is generally caused due to unhealthy eating. Most people suffer from acid reflux or stomach acid after a heavy and spicy meal. Besides, heartburn or acid reflux is also very common in smokers, pregnant women, heavy drinkers, those who are overweight, and those aged between 35 and 64 years. Is you have been constantly troubled with acid reflux, then follow these simple dietary guidelines by Syeda Kiran Zahra Hussain, Certified Holistic Nutrition Therapist, SNHS , UK. Certified Health Coach, IIN, US, to decrease stomach acid and lead a healthy life.
• The first thing to do to decrease stomach acid is to drink a glass full of water after waking up. A glass of water will help to neutralise the acid present in your stomach. Besides, make sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water every day or according to your activity level.
• Instead of eating three heavy meals, eat at least 5 to 6 small meals throughout the day. Smaller meals will help to give a steady food supply to your acid. Therefore, it digests your food, without spiking the acid production. Lastly, the number of meals is closely interlinked with stomach acid. Thus, the less unhealthy food you eat the lesser are the chances of developing acid reflux problems.
• To get rid of acid reflux, try to include lots of non-citrus fruits. Non-citrus fruits like apple, banana and watermelon will help to neutralise the acid in your stomach.
• Yoghurt is one of the best options for quick relief from acid reflux problems. So, include a bowl of yoghurt everyday in your diet, to prevent acid problems in future.
• Avoid junk and unhealthy foods as far as possible. Instead, eat healthy and natural foods, to lower the problem of stomach acid. Natural foods like beans, whole grains, fish and lean poultry not only lower your acid problem but also helps you maintain a healthy weight.
• The last and the best way to avoid acid reflux problem is by avoid few foods. Avoid foods and beverages like alcohol, aerated drinks, and excess consumption of tea, sugary items, citrus fruits and fried foods.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
For More: Stomach Acid
Health Star Of The Week
22-year-old Ajith was stunned when a little kid referred to him as ‘uncle.' This...
For those of us in the corporate world, stress is a common phenomenon. Besides, numerous...
Dr Arnold Kegel, discovered kegel exercises to help pregnant women control urinary...