Spotting Lung Cancer Symptoms
Lung cancer is one of the commonest malignant neoplasms worldwide. Fast becoming responsible for the most cancer deaths, globally, lung cancer must not be taken lightly. With increasing prevalence of smoking, lung cancer has reached epidemic proportions in India. As with most cancers, the earlier lung cancer is detected, the stronger are your chances of a complete recovery. Here are the top lung cancer symptoms to look out for...
General symptoms of lung cancer: Various changes that may occur in the lung and the chest area due to lung cancer are -
- Coughing becomes intense and persistent
- Pain is experienced in the chest, back and shoulders. This is generally different from the pain experienced during coughing
- The colour and the volume of the sputum changes
- Shortness of breath
- The voice changes, becomes hoarse
- Harsh sounds are heard with each breath
- Coughing blood with consistent lung problems like bronchitis or pneumonia
- Loss of appetite, weight loss and the patient experiences constant fatigue
- Bone and joint pain, facial and neck swelling
- Hoarse voice
- Problem in swallowing
- Finger clubbing, which means changes in the shape of your finger and nails
- Blockage of blood vessels in the face area
- Swelling in the neck area because of lymph nodes
- Shortness of breath
Hormone related symptoms: There are certain types of lung cancer cells, which get into the bloodstream and can lead to symptoms, which eventually lead to lung cancer. Medically known as paraneoplastic syndrome, hormone related symptoms include -
- Weakness in the muscles
- Needles and numbness in the fingers
- Drowsiness, dizziness and confusion
- Swelling of chest in men
- Blood clots
Quite uncommon in lung cancer, these kinds of symptoms can still make their presence felt. Thus, it is important to convey these occurences to your doctor.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Health Star Of The Week
Manisha chose to be ignorant about the weight she had gained over the years, as she was...
If women are coy about sex, men are coy about skincare treatments. Men also face skin...