About Chikungunya: How to Prevent Chikungunya This Monsoon
If you have a mosquito menace in and around the area of your residence or work, you must increase awareness about Chikungunya. This disease will ruin your monsoon fun and thrills. To get a better understanding about Chikungunya and how best it can be prevented, we spoke to Dr. H.K. Singh, a Senior Consultant of Internal Medicine at Sri Balaji Action Medical Institute in New Delhi.
Dr. Singh first gives us the basics about Chikungunya, “It is a fever caused by the chikungunya virus, which is spread by the bite of the Aedes mosquito.” He says, “One should go to a doctor if one has fever, severe joint pains especially at smaller joints like wrists, ankle, feet etc., headache, fear from light, rashes on trunk and lower limbs, red eyes, feeling of vomiting and abdominal pain.”
Dr. Singh gives us some pointers about how to prevent chikungunya this monsoon:
- “Avoid water collection in unused coolers, earthen pitchers, tyres, flower pots. Also avoid putting any oil in collected water in order to prevent breeding of mosquitoes.
- Spray insecticides at home and in nearby areas to kill mosquitoes.
- Wear full sleeved clothes, long dresses and trousers that cover arms and legs to prevent mosquito bites.”
If you show signs and symptoms of chikungunya Dr. Singh suggests that you quickly try out some home remedies, “For immediate relief, one can take paracetamol 650mg and give cold sponging which can bring down fever. Drinking plenty of liquids is recommended.” Here are some more home remedies:
- “Garlic paste and clove oil can be applied on aching joints
- Epsom salt (Magnesium sulphate) can be applied over inflamed joints
- Chewing ashwagandha helps in speedy recovery
- Drink coconut water in abundance as it detoxifies the liver and helps in faster recovery”
Dr. Singh tells us that a typical treatment for chikungunya involves “intravenous fluids to maintain adequate hydration, paracetamol to bring down fever and decrease pain. Tramadol can be used for pain relief if paracetamol fails.”
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
While sunflower oil is a healthy oil to cook with, it can be used in your skin and hair...
We all have some sort of skincare routine and are probably guilty of some skincare...
Work, presentations, deadlines, interviews etc. are such a basic part of your life and yet...