What Is the Carb Lover's Diet?
The carb lovers' diet essentially includes healthy carbs that have cholesterol-lowering properties, and enhance healthy living. The diet rests upon the principle that good carbs chosen wisely aid weight loss by keeping you full. The carb lovers' diet allows resistance starch foods, i.e., foods that resist digestion, but benefit glucose levels, while keeping us full at the same time.
What is resistant starch? Adding a small amount of resistant starch to your first meal of the day helps in converting your body into fat-softening mode, which (as an estimate) aids in burning approximately 25% extra calories every day. These are simply whole wheat breads, potatoes, cereals, and even bananas.
According to Denver’s University of Colorado, eating the right combination of carbs is an effective way to stay fit. Foods rich in good carbs help:
- Reduce the size of fat cells, particularly in your belly.
- Keep blood sugar levels in check.
- Aid in boosting muscle mass.
- Help lower triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
- Help deal with cravings effectively.
To understand the carb lovers' diet you need to understand the concept of complex carbohydrates aka good carbohydrates. Complex carbohydrates are foods that exist in their natural state, therefore they are not refined or processed. They have high fiber content, and are rich in vitamins, minerals and nutrients. Foods rich in good carbs are not digested rapidly, thus they do not cause blood sugar spikes that lead to constant hunger and poor appetite control.
On the other hand, simple carbohydrates are usually refined or processed to the extent that their natural nutrients as well as healthy fiber content are removed. They are high on additives and added preservatives such as flavourings and artificial colourings. Simple carbs are broken down as glucose very rapidly in the body, which leads to a drastic hit in the blood sugar levels. More than necessary consumption of simple carbs leads to lifestyle diseases such as diabetes.
Some musts in the carb lovers' diet:
- The carb lovers' diet includes a healthy breakfast that is rich in good carbs. However, these need to be the good carbs in the starch resistant category, which boils down to whole grains, oatmeal and fruits like bananas.
- All meals and snacks are portion controlled and must be made up of a majority of complex carbs rich in resistance starch.
- To start off on the carb lovers' diet, you need to add extra whole grains to your diet. There is no definite A to Z meal plan in the carb lovers diet and it is all about understanding the difference between good carbs and bad carbs.
- The star quality about this diet is that one must never go hungry.
Our verdict on the carb lovers' diet: The carb lovers' diet is fairly simple and believes in advocating a healthy lifestyle. It is a good diet for someone who is looking for a permanent weight management solution, rather than short term weight loss. Consuming healthy portions of good carbs is a good weight loss strategy, but remember - even if the food is extremely healthy, you will still gain weight if you eat it in excess. Moderate your good carbs, and you've got a winning formula to weight loss heaven.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Hollywood celebrity trainer Ramona Braganza lets us in on some of her A-List client's...
Available only in winter, Indian gooseberries, or amla as they are known in Hindi, have...
You probably started growing a moustache this month with the vague intention of...