Healthy Living in the City: Shape up When You Ship Out
Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
When you relocate you can’t pack all your clothes, shoes and workout equipment. Further, moving to a new place brings additional responsibilities - adding pressure to your diet and fitness routine. This is when your fitness levels head downhill - down the slippery slope toward weight gain, lethargy, lack of sleep and lowered immunity. In order to help you get back on track, we spoke to Arnav Sarkar, Strength and Conditioning coach, who let us in on some secrets to exercises that you can easily do at home...even as your boxes and suitcases are being unpacked.
When you move to a new city for work or studies you travel light, hence if you are particular about your fitness and you can’t find a gym near your place, this what you can do. Arnav Sarkar says, “There is one piece of equipment that we all carry with ourselves wherever we go, i.e. our own bodyweight. Our own bodyweight can be an effective training tool when applied properly to give us a good workout.”
This is what you can do for effective bodyweight exercises:
- For upper body- push ups, handstand push ups and pull ups,
- For lower body- squats, lunges, Bulgarian split squat, 1 leg Romanian deadlift
- Abdominal- reverse crunches, hanging leg raises, side bridges
- Conditioning- burpees, running, shadow kickboxing (Via)
But if you don’t mind investing in a home gym, some weight plates, a barbell rod, and two adjustable dumbbell rods will help you chisel your body. Arnav Sarkar lines up a set of exercises to help you build your strength and muscle and for reducing fat.
Strength and muscle building:
- 1 arm dumbbell floor press or military press- 3 sets of 4-6 reps
- Barbell rows- 3 sets of 6-8 reps
- Bulgarian split squats- 3 sets of 10 reps each side
- Biceps curls- 2 sets of 8-10 reps
- Rest about 2-3 minutes between sets
- A1) Military press- 3 sets of 8 reps
- A2) Barbell lunge- 3 sets of 10 reps each side
- B1) Push ups- 2 sets of as many reps as possible
- B2) Goblet squats- 3 sets of 10 reps
- Rest about 60-90 seconds between supersets
- Finish with 15-20 minutes of kickboxing, or rope jumping
Absolutely love those deep backed cholis but ashamed of the state of your back? Luckily,...
Herbs and spices have been traditionally used for their flavour-enhancing and medicinal...
The human body is simply amazing, with several functions and abilities that we don’t even...