We are always looking for healthy options to balance our crazy life; this makes us vulnerable to the word ‘healthy.’ There are as many diets available as the salt in the ocean. But we want to try them all, so much so that we are now into superfruits. They are not fruits that do not have magical properties and mysteriously make you healthy. Hence to uncover these unusual fruits we have to understand the conception of the term superfruits.
What do we mean by 'Superfruits?'
- It is a term used by marketing geniuses but is not approved by the FDA in the US.
- This term referrs to fruits with antioxidants, high nutritional value and appeal to the consumer.
- Popular healthy fruits like bananas or oranges are not included in the group.
- It was conceived and mostly used by the food and beverage industry.
- Also, it has to be a rare fruit.
- Açaí, goji, mangosteen, noni, pomegranate, seaberry, blueberries, cranberries, and red grapes are considered as superfruits.
What the beverage industry did was label exotic fruits as superfruits, producing juices and supplements, but hold on. You still need to eat fresh fruits and if you’re gulping on supplements, then you're opening yourself up to weight gain through excessive sugar and artificial preservatives consumption. All, while missing out on the natural goodness of whole fruits - super or otherwise; not to mention a high cost of purchasing what you think is 'good healthy food.' Leave the superfruits on those market aisles and head for healthy whole fruits in kilo bags for regular consumption.
*Images courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Health Star Of The Week
Weight loss becomes a herculean task when you have a small baby in your hands and pounds on...
Favourite Recipe Of The Week
Vegetable Kati Roll is an easy Indian food recipe prepared with whole wheat rotis and mixed...
Summer brings with it a plethora of problems – skin, hair and health problems like...
Women generally know how to make their men happy, but do you know there are erogenous zones...