How to Toilet Train Your Child [World Toilet Day]
Toilet training is a huge task in every parent’s life. Many parents are unsure about when exactly to start potty training. Sometimes they usually start at a very young age and sometimes too late. Not all kids are comfortable using a toilet seat at a specific age, although most of the children show signs between 18 to 24 months.
Some children learn toilet etiquette in days, while some can even take months. Though it’s a tasking job a parent shouldn’t get frustrated. In fact the parent must keep his cool and support the child. Here are some suggestions from Dr. Keya Lahiri – Chief Pediatrician at Dr. D.Y. Patil Hospital that might help to make the training process simpler and faster.
Look out for signs instead of using age as an indicator
- When your child understands words about the toilet training process, that means he is ready.
- When your child controls the muscles responsible for elimination.
- When your child expresses a need to go verbally.
- When your child keeps a diaper dry for 2 hours or more.
- When your child pulls down diapers or underpants by himself.
- When your child shows an interest in using the potty or wearing underpants.
Basic steps for every parent
- Buy the right equipment
- Ditch the nappy
- Dress your child in clothes that are easy to take off.
- If your child doesn’t co-operate or seem interested, just wait until he’s willing to try again.
- Never make your child sit for more than five minutes.
- If your child misses the toilet, don’t comment. Just clean it up without any frustration.
- Teach your child how to wash her hands after using the toilet.
- You’ll need to wipe your child’s bottom at first, until she learns how. Remember to wipe from the front to the back, particularly with little girls.
- Never force your child, let the potty act be done independently.
- Give your child positive praise for her efforts and lots of praise when she’s successful.
*Image courtesy: Reuters
The 2015 Academy Awards witnessed some of the fittest Hollywood celebrities who dazzled on...
Vinay was a skinny and underweight kid who had grown up watching Arnold Schwarzenegger and...
Welcome to the vegetarian world! Vegetarians are frequently misunderstood as unconventional...