How to Toilet Train Your Child [World Toilet Day]
Toilet training is a huge task in every parent’s life. Many parents are unsure about when exactly to start potty training. Sometimes they usually start at a very young age and sometimes too late. Not all kids are comfortable using a toilet seat at a specific age, although most of the children show signs between 18 to 24 months.
Some children learn toilet etiquette in days, while some can even take months. Though it’s a tasking job a parent shouldn’t get frustrated. In fact the parent must keep his cool and support the child. Here are some suggestions from Dr. Keya Lahiri – Chief Pediatrician at Dr. D.Y. Patil Hospital that might help to make the training process simpler and faster.
Look out for signs instead of using age as an indicator
- When your child understands words about the toilet training process, that means he is ready.
- When your child controls the muscles responsible for elimination.
- When your child expresses a need to go verbally.
- When your child keeps a diaper dry for 2 hours or more.
- When your child pulls down diapers or underpants by himself.
- When your child shows an interest in using the potty or wearing underpants.
Basic steps for every parent
- Buy the right equipment
- Ditch the nappy
- Dress your child in clothes that are easy to take off.
- If your child doesn’t co-operate or seem interested, just wait until he’s willing to try again.
- Never make your child sit for more than five minutes.
- If your child misses the toilet, don’t comment. Just clean it up without any frustration.
- Teach your child how to wash her hands after using the toilet.
- You’ll need to wipe your child’s bottom at first, until she learns how. Remember to wipe from the front to the back, particularly with little girls.
- Never force your child, let the potty act be done independently.
- Give your child positive praise for her efforts and lots of praise when she’s successful.
*Image courtesy: Reuters
Health Star Of The Week
Nidhi, thought that being tall helped her look slim, so she didn't pay any attention...
If women are coy about sex, men are coy about skincare treatments. Men also face skin...