Having diabetes does not necessarily mean surviving on tasteless food. You can still enjoy all your favourite foods. In fact, it means being aware of how you eat, what you do to be able to eat it and how much you eat. Today, Sunita Pathania – Sr. Registered Dietician and Diabetes Educator, Healthy Living Diet Clinic, Mumbai, helps you out with some quick nutrition tips to develop a diet plan that is right for you and will help keep your diabetes and blood sugar level in control.
- Eat foods, which are low in fat and high in fiber.
- Prefer artificially sweetened beverages.
- If you enjoy sweet drinks, then go for the ones which have artificial sweetener.
- Avoid sugar sweetened beverages like regular sodas, energy drinks, sugar sweetened tea and coffee.
- If you want juice everyday, then limit it only to ½ cup every day. Prefer having it with your meal. Use orange, grapefruit, apple, grape or cranberry juice.
- Avoid concentrated sweets like candies, cookies, cakes and pies.
- Eat three different meals throughout the day and follow the same time. Never skip meals.
- Avoid alcohols.
- Cut back on your serving size e.g. ½ cups of fruits and pasta or 1 slice of bread.
- Do not get fooled by over expensive, sugar free products. Before buying it, consult your doctor.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
Health Star Of The Week
Weight loss becomes a herculean task when you have a small baby in your hands and pounds on...
Favourite Recipe Of The Week
Vegetable Kati Roll is an easy Indian food recipe prepared with whole wheat rotis and mixed...
Summer brings with it a plethora of problems – skin, hair and health problems like...
Women generally know how to make their men happy, but do you know there are erogenous zones...