10 Quick Nutrition Tips for Diabetics [Expert Advice]
Having diabetes does not necessarily mean surviving on tasteless food. You can still enjoy all your favourite foods. In fact, it means being aware of how you eat, what you do to be able to eat it and how much you eat. Today, Sunita Pathania – Sr. Registered Dietician and Diabetes Educator, Healthy Living Diet Clinic, Mumbai, helps you out with some quick nutrition tips to develop a diet plan that is right for you and will help keep your diabetes and blood sugar level in control.
- Eat foods, which are low in fat and high in fiber.
- Prefer artificially sweetened beverages.
- If you enjoy sweet drinks, then go for the ones which have artificial sweetener.
- Avoid sugar sweetened beverages like regular sodas, energy drinks, sugar sweetened tea and coffee.
- If you want juice everyday, then limit it only to ½ cup every day. Prefer having it with your meal. Use orange, grapefruit, apple, grape or cranberry juice.
- Avoid concentrated sweets like candies, cookies, cakes and pies.
- Eat three different meals throughout the day and follow the same time. Never skip meals.
- Avoid alcohols.
- Cut back on your serving size e.g. ½ cups of fruits and pasta or 1 slice of bread.
- Do not get fooled by over expensive, sugar free products. Before buying it, consult your doctor.
*Image courtesy: © Thinkstock photos/ Getty Images
The human body is truly amazing. Check out these 10 incredible facts about your body.
If you’re a vegetarian, watch out for these foods that seem to be vegetarian but may...
Drinking enough water is easier said than done, because even though you know that you...